Friday, May 13, 2011

Brainless Meals: Chicken Stroganoff (and weight loss update)

So, I have been a little recipe-heavy with my posts lately...I have some crafty things to share soon but I discovered a couple great recipes in the past couple days that have immediately won a spot in our menu rotation.  One is this great, EASY (seriously, less than 5 minutes to prepare) dish which is a nice change of pace from your traditional beef stroganoff (and a little healthier too).  And scoff if you will about the canned cream soup and onion soup mix--I don't even care.  My husband said it was one of the best things I've ever made.  (by the way, I used reduced-fat cream of mushroom, and light sour cream.)  Serve it with the standard egg noodles, or if you're a fellow dieter you can substitute brown rice or steamed veggies.  I LOVED this over steamed broccoli.  Enjoy!

Chicken Stroganoff (from Faithful Provisions) 

1 pound frozen chicken breasts (I didn't thaw them and it still turned out great)
1 container (8 oz) sliced mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet onion soup mix
16 oz container of sour cream

Place frozen chicken breasts in bottom of a crock pot (I greased mine).  Place mushrooms on top of chicken, mix remaining ingredients and pour over mushrooms and chicken.  Cook on low for 5-7 hours, stirring hourly.  Shred chicken or cut into chunks right in the pot before serving. 

Mmm...I want some right now.  So yummy! 

In other news, I wrote about Spark People a few days ago, and though I still agree that it is a great program, I have actually gone back to Weight Watchers after realizing that the issue was my computer (rather, Firefox) and not the WW website.  I do like Spark People, but for whatever reason I seem to be more motivated with Weight Watchers...I still think it's the $20 per month.  Plus, I've found it's a bit easier to use if you cook at home most of the time and need to figure out the nutritional information of a particular recipe.  I'm slowly getting back on track after the disastrous spell I had during and around Easter (I gained about 3 pounds in a little over 2 weeks...yikes!) and now I'm more motivated than ever.  Plus, there have been some fabulous weather days lately (until last night, at least) so I've been able to get outside more.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment