Monday, May 2, 2011

Weight Loss on a Budget

So, I've been actively trying (with some success) to lose baby weight over the past several weeks.  I've lost a little, but still have a long way to go.  (By the way, anyone who ever told me I'd lose 20 pounds right away in the hospital, and then the rest would just 'fall off' when breastfeeding...you lied.  Just saying :) )  I decided that the best way to motivate myself would be to pay to lose weight...as in, the longer it takes, the longer I keep paying.  So I joined Weight Watchers Online.  I will say, it is a fabulous program, very easy to follow, and pretty affordable at about $20 per month.  Plus I've lost about 10 pounds so far. 

HOWEVER.  I am very frustrated with the technical side of the website.  For some reason, every few days, without reason and without me changing my cookies or whatever, I can't log in.  I type in my username and password, and every time it takes me right back to the home page.  And I'm paying for this (non-) accessibility.  Very frustrating.  So I canceled my subscription.

Enter Spark People.  A completely FREE way to track calories and weight loss online!  I learned about this from one of my best friends a couple of years ago, but was honestly never really diligent enough to enter in every single thing that I ate.  Now that I'm used to doing that with Weight Watchers, I think this will be a smooth transition.  It really is simple to use, and from what I can tell (it's still day 1) it has similar features. 

So if you're looking to lose weight but really don't have it in your budget to pay for a diet plan, check it out!  I'm also planning on featuring several weight-loss-on-a-budget ideas and tips.  And if you think this topic is about as exciting as staring at a wall, forgive me.  Hopefully it helps someone out there!  :)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jayme!! I am trying to lose the last little bit of baby weight. I have been reading "Made to Crave" and it has helped me tremendously!! Can't wait to keep following your blog and see all your craftiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan and I are using the Lose It! app...it's probably similar. Calorie counting was the only thing that helped me lose weight before my wedding and now I'm going back to it to shed the newlywed weight. Oh the irony lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayme... I have been looking at Spark People lately. I thought about joining, but I seem to do better with the face to face accountability of WW, but not really into paying. I would be very interested if you find some delish and simple recipes. My husband is a very picky eater and need "normal" food choices but healthy as well. I have also started reading "Made to Crave" and have been trying to keep in mind that I need to nourish my body, instead of just please my taste buds and cravings. :) Can't wait to hear of the success, let me know how SparkPeople is going and I will try to start using it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog, Jayme! I just happened to find it open in Laurelin's browser, or I wouldn't have known about it!

    If you have the time, check out my weight loss blog at http://www.3xlandback.com You can read about my story there, and maybe you'll find something interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, everyone! I am excited to share ideas and recipes along the way. And thanks for the link, Dan...I had no idea! Your progress is incredible...lots of congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete