Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day! And some recipes.

What a blessing to have my first Mothers' Day (as a mother) today.  Liam was such a good boy all day even though he has thrush in his mouth (calling the doc tomorrow) and Mommy put his shoes on too tight for church (poor thing, his feet were so red! oops).  He is such a joy and blessing and we are so thankful for him!  Rob was so sweet too--after a crazy weekend which started off with taking him to the ER Friday night, he wasn't feeling the best but still got me a sweet card and the new Adele CD, made lunch after church, and offered to grill tonight when we had Rob's family over. 

I wanted to keep tonight's grilled menu simple but a little more lady-friendly (read: something other than just brats and burgers) so I made one of my favorite meals: grilled chicken, steak, and veggie kebabs with seasoned rice.  We also did make some burgers for non-kebab lovers, had a couple different salads, and angel food cake with strawberries too.  Since I worked the closing shift both Friday and Saturday, I also wanted most of the prep work to be done yesterday before work so I could relax this afternoon.  The following recipes are standbys for me--the marinade is a recipe my mom got from Bill Knapp's (a restaurant that used to be in my hometown years ago) and can be used on any kind of meat.  The seasoned rice recipe is actually a homemade mix--very handy to keep around for a quick side dish, and much better than buying boxes of Rice a Roni.  Enjoy!


Honey Chicken Marinade
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons crushed garlic or garlic powder
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vinegar
2/3 cup oil

Mix well and pour over steak, chicken, pork, kebabs, or fish.  Marinade several hours before grilling.
*Note: this time I used 1/2 cup ginger ale instead of apple juice and ginger because of an apple allergy.  It was still good!  I also use low sodium soy sauce, and not quite as much oil.



Seasoned Rice Mix (from Taste of Home)
3 cups uncooked long grain white rice (I use instant, and sometimes brown rice)
6 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Combine in an airtight container with a lid.

Additional ingredients for each batch: 
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil (I use maybe half a tablespoon)
1 cup rice mix (above)

Combine water and butter or oil in a saucepan, bring to a boil.  Stir in rice mix.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  (if I use instant or brown rice, I just refer to the instructions on the box).

No comments:

Post a Comment