Saturday, April 9, 2011

Brainless Meals: Chile-Chicken Enchiladas

ENDECA_EXCLUDE_END
Chile-Chicken Enchiladas
photo from Betty Crocker

There are nights when I willingly put forth a lot of effort for a meal, following a recipe with lots of steps and creating a mountain of dirty dishes along the way.  But there are just some days when that's not going to happen, and thus I introduce a new theme: Brainless Meals.

I've tried a lot of recipes for enchiladas...many involving lots of steps, making homemade sauce, etc.  They're all really good, but this one is quickly becoming my favorite not only because it's easy, but because it really IS good.  And it's so much easier to make because it involves opening cans of things and dumping them together...not much work required.  At 6 ingredients and a little over 5 bucks to make, it's a winner.

Chile-Chicken Enchiladas (adapted from bettycrocker.com)
1 can or bottle enchilada sauce ($0.89)
2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (I use a big can from Sam's Club--$2)
1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese, Monterey Jack or cheddar ($0.89)
1 cup sour cream ($0.59)
1 can chopped green chiles ($0.50)
8 flour tortillas ($0.99 for 10)

total cost: $5.86*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of the dish.  In a medium bowl, combine chicken, about 2/3 of the cheese, sour cream, and chilies.  Spoon about 1/3 cup of the mixture down the center of each tortilla, roll up the tortilla and place seam-side down in baking dish.  Top with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.  Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes, remove foil and bake 5-10 minutes longer.  Serve with chopped avocado, green onion, lettuce, and/or tomato if desired. 

*Note on total cost: Actual price I paid for the ingredients.  Most were purchased at Aldi.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I like brainless meals!! This one sounds YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayme! How did I miss this blog entering the world!? So excited to read and follow your tips! :) You still have to help me with the couponing thing, though. I am just dumb when it comes to all that. (And LOVE the pun in the blog title... well done, friend:) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I haven't been promoting enough :) It's only been a couple weeks though. I'd love to help you coupon...and IN PERSON hopefully!!!!

    ReplyDelete